This is one of my favorite backyard (or in my case rooftop) recipes. It is as easy as it gets and in less then 10 minutes your taste buds will dance and applaud. There are several places here in NYC that does a fun take on the hot dog. The only problem is they are always sooo crowded and pricey. I decided to create my own hot dog happiness yumminess. For those who don’t know what kim chi or kimchee (spelled all different ways) its fermented cabbage that is mixed with spicy Korean flavors. You can totally get it online or from local store in major cities. If you cant find kimchee: mix 1 cup of vinegar based coleslaw with 2 tablespoons of Sriracha sauce. I went to one of my favorite Korean Ramen restaurants to pick up kimchee, MokBar, located in Chelsea market. They have awesome soups and actually jar their homemade yummy Kimchee. Don’t worry if your don’t have a Korean restaurant near you the supermarket should have it too!
Imagine going to your friends BBQ and they serve this spicy crunchy treat. The spicy kick of the kimchee with the salty potato chip rustle-rustle will make you sit back and say how great is life. Your hot dog will feel like it went on a fun adventure of its lifetime. Ok Chop happy towns people watch the video and make this and then post pictures of this on the comments section. Also What is your favorite exotic thing to put on a hot dog? Let me know in the comments section and maybe a recipe like that will appear soon dedicated to you!
Kimchee Potato Chip Hot Dog
- 1 package of your favorite hot dogs cooked on the grill
- 1 package of hot dog buns (toasted or not toasted its your decision)
- your favorite mustard spread on both sides of the hot dog bun
- 1 bottle of white cabbage kim chi (If they don’t have that variety get other variety)
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Mix the kimchee, honey and vinegar to combine the magic potion. (The honey helps balance the spicy and the vinegar makes it all taste more fresh from the farm)
- Put your hot “diggity” dog on a mustard slathered bun.
- Next add two tablespoons of kimchee on top like a fancy dress to the Oscars.
- The grand finally is take a handful of potato chips and place them on top and in between the hot dog and bun.
- Ready…. Set…… Start crunching away and enjoy the new hot dog treat at your next BBQ.
Let me know what you like on your hot dog in the comments below or what crazy thing you put on your hot dog!
With a grateful heart and a potato chip-hot dog amazing tummy – Jay