This is a drop and heat type of recipe. Translation: In true Chop Happy style, this is as easy as put on a sheet pan, mix and that’s it! What makes this recipe special is the flavoring and the surprise secret ingredient at the end that sets this simple side dish over the edge to greatness.
The key is the sweet butternut squash combined with the chili seasonings warm deep rich flavor is a match made in heaven. This is a Thanksgiving, Sunday roast chicken, or I need something easy to put together and then forget about it type of meal.
I am so excited for you to smile in the kitchen and eat this amazing dish.
Grab your ingredients and follow along with the video!
Roasted Chili Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash peeled and chopped small (pre-cut 1 lb)
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp salt (big pinches)
- 1 tsp pepper (big pinch)
- 2 jalapeños with seeds cut into large chunks (to avoid burning)
- 1 tsp chili seasoning
- 1 lime (use only the zest)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- On a baking sheet, add squash, jalapeños, salt, chili seasoning and swirl in olive oil; mix and arrange squash so it’s spread out.
- Bake 50 minutes (no need to mix or shake the pan); once done and while it’s hot add the lime zest.
- Veggies cut smaller roast fast and get more crisp.
- Preheat oven at least 30 min in advance so it’s super hot.
- Don’t open the oven to check! You’ll let heat out and it’s be less crispy.
- MOST IMPORTANT – don’t crowd the pan. If there are too many veggies on the sheet pan it’ll steam and get mushy.
Give it a try and share pictures of your tasty creation 🙂
With a grateful heart and an amazing butternut squash tummy – Jay